Iowa Concrete Lunch & Learn
Since 2006—with support from the Iowa Concrete Paving Association (ICPA) and the Iowa Department of Transportation—the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center (CP Tech Center) has been delivering informal “Concrete Lunch & Learn” professional development to pavement engineers in now six locations across Iowa every fall, winter, and spring.
Over the years, this free CP Tech Center training has provided more than 6,000 total attendees with state-of-the-industry insights from around the country and throughout Iowa on more than 50 technical topics related to the design, construction, and preservation of concrete pavements.
Each season’s “Concrete Lunch & Learn” topic is chosen by surveying the interests of previous attendees and seeking input from concrete industry experts. Since 2016, CP Tech Center Technology Transfer Engineer and Snyder & Associates’ Senior Engineer, Jerod Gross, PE, LEED® AP, has led this ongoing “Concrete Lunch & Learn” continuing education series.
Slides for the CP Tech Center’s most recent “Concrete Lunch & Learn” presentations are below (with videos, as available, at bottom):
- Winter 2022—#55—Sustainability and Carbon Reduction in Iowa Pavements
- Fall 2021—#54—Basics of Concrete Pavement Design—Methodology & Design Parameters
- Winter 2021, Session 6—#53—PCC Paving Inspection
- Winter 2021, Session 5—#52—Sustainability and How the Industry is Reducing Its Environmental Impact
- Winter 2021, Session 4—#51—Troubleshooting Concrete Projects—Handout and IMCP Manual Troubleshooting Summary Tables (see full IMCP manual for additional info)
- Winter 2021, Session 3—#50—Subgrades and Subbases: Iowa DOT Research and Next Steps
- Winter 2021, Session 2—#49—PCC Overlays: Fabric and Fiber
- Winter 2021, Session 1—#48—PEM and Reduced-Cement Paving Mixes in Iowa
- Fall 2020—#47—Durable Concrete in a Low-Ash World
- Spring 2019—#43—Fundamentals of durable concrete mix design: Engineering mixtures for durability
- Winter 2019—#42—Concrete pavement preservation fundamentals
- Fall 2018—#41—Best practices for jointing of concrete pavements
- Spring 2018—#40—Geosynthetics
- Winter 2018—#39—Evolution of concrete pavements: Lessons learned for long-life concrete pavements
- Fall 2017—#38—Concrete pavement preservation
- Spring 2017—#37—Optimizing subgrades & subbases for concrete pavements
- Winter 2017— #36—Troubleshooting early-age cracking
- Fall 2016—#35—Choosing the proper PCC mix for durability