Dr. Shafei contributes to various research on transportation projects associated with the Bridge Engineering Center (BEC). He has a solid background and extensive experience in the design and assessment of bridge structures subjected to natural and manmade hazards, in addition to the development of condition-based strategies for the inspection and maintenance of aging structural components.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Irvine
- MS, Structural Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Tehran, Iran
- Associate Professor (with Tenure), Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2020–present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2014–2020
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2012–2014
- Post-Doctoral Scholar, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2011–2012
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2011–2012
Selected Research Projects
- Next Generation of Life-Cycle Cost Analysis Tool for Bridges in Iowa, Iowa Department of Transportation and Iowa Highway Research Board (Co-PI, Phase I: 2018–2020; Phase II: 2021–2022)
- Asset Management, Extreme Weather, and Proxy Indicators, Iowa Highway Research Board and Iowa Department of Transportation (Co-PI, 2018–2021)
- Assessment of Bridge Decks with Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) Reinforcement, Minnesota Department of Transportation (PI, 2018–2021)
- Assessing and Enhancing the Transportation Resilience for the State of Iowa, FHWA State Planning & Research, Iowa Department of Transportation (Co-PI, 2017–2019)
- Increase Service Life at Bridge Ends through Improved Abutment and Approach Slab Details and Water Management Practices, Iowa Highway Research Board (PI, 2017–2020)
- Initiative for Big Data-Driven Prediction of Long-Term Bridge Performance and Management Improvement, Midwest Transportation Center (Co-PI, 2016–2018)
- Condition-Based Maintenance and Management of Aging Transportation Infrastructure, Midwest Transportation Center (PI, 2015–2017)
- Khatami, D. and Shafei, B. 2020. Impact of climate conditions on deteriorating reinforced concrete bridges in the U.S. Midwest region. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, In Press.
- Shi, W., Najimi, M., and Shafei, B. 2020. Reinforcement corrosion and transport of water and chloride ions in shrinkage-compensating cement concretes. Journal of Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 135, pp. 1–9.
- Kulkarni, A. and Shafei, B. 2018. Impact of extreme events on transportation infrastructure in Iowa: A Bayesian network approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2672, No. 48, pp. 45–57.
- Khatami, D., Shafei, B., and Smadi, O. 2016. Management of bridges under aging mechanisms and extreme events: A risk-based approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2550, pp. 89–95.
- Alipour, A. and Shafei, B. 2016. Assessment of post-earthquake losses in a network of aging bridges. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 1–12.
- Alipour, A. and Shafei, B. 2016. Seismic resilience of transportation networks with deteriorating components. Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 142, No. 8, pp. 1–12.
- Khatami, D. and Shafei, B. 2016. Effects of environmental stressors and material properties on life-cycle durability of reinforced concrete structures. , 5th International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, Delft, Netherlands, October 16–19.
- Shafei, B. and Alipour, A. 2015. Application of large-scale non-Gaussian stochastic fields for the study of corrosion-induced structural deterioration. Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 88, pp. 262–276.
- Member of ASCE Task Group 2 on Reliability-Based Structural Performance Indicators
- Member of TRB committee AFN10, Basic Research and Emerging Technologies Related to Concrete
- Member of International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS)
- Member of International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE)
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member of American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Professional Engineering (PE) License, State of California