Performance-Engineered Mixtures (PEM)
We have traditionally accepted concrete based on measurements like strength, slump, and air. These measurements, in their current form, have very limited correlation to future performance. However, recent developments in concrete testing technologies have yielded methods that are better predictors of long-term performance.
It is the goal of the PEM Transportation Pooled Fund (TPF) project to bring these newer technologies to state agencies and to assist states in adoption of the test methods that will help them deliver on the promise of concrete durability.The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), 19 state departments of transportation, and 4 national associations representing the concrete paving industry have come together to fund this project. It is a coalition of federal, state, and industry leaders dedicated to maximizing pavement performance.
About the PEM Project
The PEM project is broken down into the following:
- Implementing what we know: This task is intended to provide support to study participants with implementation of performance engineered paving mixtures within their states. Implementation will include education, training, and project-level support.
- Performance monitoring and specification refinement: This task will provide field performance data for use in making decisions on specification limits in the areas of salt damage, transport, and freeze-thaw damage.
- Measuring and relating early-age concrete properties to performance: This task will build upon the foundational work done to date in measurement technologies to design and control concrete pavement mixtures around key engineering properties. It is planned that work under this task will address improved testing methods for improved accuracy and reduced cost.
PEM Test Methods
Guidance for test methods falling under the PEM umbrella that may be new to many agencies, contractors, testing labs, and consultants is provided below as follows:
Vibrating Kelly Ball (VKelly)
Super Air Meter (SAM)
- Additional SAM Test Procedure Videos
- SAM (and Box) Test Summary Slide Handout (PDF)
- SAM Test Procedure (PDF)
- SAM Data Calculation Template (XLSX)
Additional Related Videos
- Oregon State University’s Performance-Engineered Concrete Mixtures Recorded Video Series
- Tyler Ley’s YouTube Channel
PEM Project Info
- Performance-Engineered Concrete Paving Mixtures (PEM): Delivering Concrete to Survive the Environment (Slides–June 2018)
- Developing a Quality Assurance Program for Implementing Performance-Engineered Mixtures for Concrete Pavements (MAP Brief–July 2017)
- Performance-Engineered Mixtures (PEM) for Concrete Pavements (MAP Brief–April 2017)
- Performance-Engineered Mixtures Program Overview (Brochure–2017)
Shadow Project Reports
- South Dakota DOT PEM Demonstration Project Report (August 2019)
- Iowa DOT PEM Demonstration Project Report (June 2019)
- Minnesota DOT PEM Demonstration Project Report (April 2020)
- North Carolina DOT PEM Demonstration Project Report (May 2020)