Concrete overlays offer cost-effective, versatile, short- and long-term solutions for the full range of concrete, asphalt, and composite pavement needs. In addition, concrete overlays contribute to more sustainable construction practices by preserving pavement service for several decades beyond its original design life.
The CP Tech Center has developed a comprehensive guide to concrete overlays, a field application program to help state DOTs successfully construct concrete overlays, a guide for existing concrete overlay design methodology, and a guide for the development of a concrete overlay project that includes typical construction drawings, specification guidance, cost information, and design lessons learned. These and other resources on concrete overlays developed by the CP Tech Center and its partners include the following:
Concrete Overlays Webinars
- Innovation with Concrete Overlays for DOTs and Municipalities (Tritsch, Smith, & Stuart–2021)—Slides / Q&A
- Concrete Overlays: A Proven Technology (Technical Overview) (Taylor & Fick–2021)—Slides
- PCC Overlays: Fabric & Fiber (Cackler & King–2021)—Slides
- Introduction to Concrete Overlays (Taylor & King–2020)—Slides / Q&A
- Overlays Overview, Existing Pavement Evaluation, and Overlay Selection (Taylor, Smith, & Dean–2020)—Slides / Q&A
- Concrete Overlay Design: Design Functions and Thickness (Ferrebee & Folkestad–2020)—Slides / Q&A
- Concrete Overlay Plans, Maintenance of Traffic, and Construction (Fick & Burwell–2020)—Slides / Q&A
- Maintenance of Concrete Overlays and Available Resources (Smith, Zeller, Tritsch, & Byers–2020)—Slides / Q&A
Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (FRC) Webinars
- Understanding the application/benefit of fiber reinforcement in concrete (Roesler–2021)—Slides / Q&A
- Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (FRC) Overview for Concrete Pavement and Overlays (Roesler & Bordelon–2018)—Slides
- Effect of Macrofibers on Behavior and Performance of Concrete Slabs and Overlays (Roesler–2018)—Slides
- Overview of Macrofiber Software and Guidelines for Concrete Overlay Design (Bordelon & Roesler–2018)—Slides
Who has constructed the kind of overlay we're considering?
Check the National Concrete Overlay Explorer from ACPA to find out. . . .